Allow me to introduce myself - my name is Enzo, named after THE Enzo in The Art of Racing in the Rain, which is my favorite book. Yes, I'm a dog too. I know a lot about fleas.
Fleas are yucky...
I will tell you what those darn bugs mean to me, and what they mean to my human Mom. Fleas are tiny little insects, about a quarter of an inch long. They don't have wings, but instead they have long hind legs that are designed for jumping. They multiply quickly and often hide in fabrics and carpets. I hate fleas. I said that already, right?
They totally ruin my life when they decide to chew on me. They are nasty vampires that bite me and feed on my blood. Ugh! Really, a flea is a parasite that will drink 15 times its body weight in blood daily. They will feed and then they mate. Egg production will begin 24-48 hours after their very first meal. I don't like being the source of that meal. if I have one flea then I know there are at least a hundred or more fleas coming soon. Ewww!
Once my Mom missed my flea treatment and I had bites on my groin (my in-betweens), my back legs and my back between my ribs and my tail. Like most dogs I am actually allergic to the saliva of fleas, which is what causes all that itchy scratchy behavior.
Don't worry, I'll tell you some ways to get rid of the little pests, but first, about my Mom... I don't like to think that she blamed me for that flea attack...fleas can show up on fabric too. Sadly, she had a ring of bites around her feet, and ankles. Her fleabites were itchy and painful. And I didn't know this before but the most famous example of human diseases carried by fleas was the plague! THE PLAGUE! Yikes!
Enough about those dreadful bugs, I can go on and on and I am sure you prefer to know what to do about them. Of course, it's best to try to prevent them in the first place by doing a lot of vacuuming, especially when it's hot. It's scary for me to know that it's difficult to get rid of them once they are at comfortable in my home and they can survive for more than 100 days even without me around!
What to do when fleas attack...
- Use a flea comb. A flea comb is the easiest, cheapest and most effective way of getting rid of fleas
- Use a special dog shampoo immediately and then every 7 days
- Use apple cider vinegar - they hate that stuff. Spray a 50/50 vinegar and water solution on their fur, before letting them outside to play
- Wash your bedding in hot water
- Use boric acid powder as a carpet, upholstery and floor flea-killer
- Put on a flea collar - I wear a Seresto Collar by Bayer
- Apply monthly flea and tick medication
Help for Mom (and dad) too...
- Wash the area first to keep infection from spreading
- Avoid scratching the bite, which is hard because they itch like crazy
- To make itching feel better use ice packs, aloe vera, witch hazel, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, tea tree oil, or used tea bags
And most importantly... stay ahead of flea outbreaks with Scollar's flea outbreak forecaster! My mom put information about me into the app and the zip code where we live and Scollar sent her an alert before the flea outbreak risk was high. She ordered my Seresto collar right in the app and those nice people with the big trucks brought it right to our door!
Get the Scollar app on Google Play or the App Store.